10 Things to Do When Going Through a Storm: PART 1
1. Follow God's voice closely. He loves you and promises to be a very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).
Pray: God, please give me the courage to be a "sheep who hears Your voice and follows it" and help me not to follow the voice of the stranger. Lord, please be that voice behind me saying, "This is the way, walk in it (Isaiah 30:21). Father, please keep my feet from falling (Psalm 116:8). Confirm what You tell me by making the truth known by two or three witnesses, in Jesus' name, amen (II Corinthians 13:1).
2. Know God loves you. He is good all the time (Psalm 86:15). He comes to give us life and life more abundantly; it is the devil that comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10). God says for us to give no place to the devil (Ephesians 4:27). God also will not have us ignorant to the devil's devices (II Corinthians 2:11). Therefore, we are to be vigilant and watchful, knowing that as a roaring lion, the adversary is seeking whom he may devour (I Peter 5:8). Jesus has defeated the devil and has him under His feet (Ephesians 1:22). God has seated us far above all principalities and powers in Heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6). We are to submit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee! (James 4:7)
Pray: Lord, please reveal Your love to me in a whole new way. Father, even if I don't see it, help me to seek for it, knowing that You desire to show it to me. I acknowledge that You went through the great expense of giving Your only begotten Son because of Your great love for us all, and I thank You. Please help me to trust Your love for me, in Jesus' name, amen.
3. Remind yourself of the great things--the miracles and breakthroughs He's done for you and others in the past (Psalm 77:10-14). His love for you has never changed. He is who He says He is, and He does what His word says He will do. Consequently, counting our blessings is a sure way to inspire us to praise our God and serves to stoke our faith in Him.
Pray: Lord, help me remember all the great things You've done for my family, friends, and me. Father, help me know that You are the same yesterday, today, and forever, in Jesus' name, amen (Hebrews 13:8).
4. Thank God for all that He has done and for what He is doing (I Thessalonians 5:16-18). This practice is how you acknowledge and celebrate the love of your faithful Father that has been so consistent in your life.
Pray: God, please fill me with praise and help me worship You with all of my heart. Please help me to choose to have a grateful heart. Thank you for working on my behalf, in Jesus' name, amen.
5. Acknowledge you need God's help, knowing that you can do all things through Christ strengthens you (John 15:5; Philippians 4:13). He will never desert you (Hebrews 13:5), and His strength is made perfect in your weakness (II Corinthians 12:9). His love for you never ends -- He is love. He is dwelling on the inside of you if you invited Him in (Revelation 3:20, Romans 10:9-10). Know that He will uphold you with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10), and trust His promise to always cause you to triumph (II Corinthians 2:14).
Pray: God give me the grace to trust You. Please, show me what to do and help me do it. God, give me the strength to resist temptation. Empower me to walk in the authority You have given me as Your child (Luke 10:19). Lord, give me the courage to believe Your Word over my circumstances and help me to walk by faith and not by sight, in Jesus' name, amen (II Corinthians 5:7).
*Come back for Part 2 of 10 Things to Do When Going Through a Storm.